Painting Kitchen Cabinets – The How and When
Painting kitchen cabinets is a pretty straightforward task. It is something even the least do-it-yourselfer can often handle with a little guidance. If you are looking for an inexpensive way to update the look of your kitchen or to add a little personality to it, then you should consider painting kitchen cabinets.
But, in order to do it well, you’ll need to invest in several things. The first thing is a little know how. Painting kitchen cabinets is not hard, but to do a good quality job, you’ll need to ensure that you follow a few tips. Here are some things to think about.
– To start painting kitchen cabinets, you’ll first need to clean them. Layers of grease and grime have likely built up on them. For the paint to adhere to them and to protect them, all of this will need to be washed away. Now that you are painting kitchen cabinets, you don’t need to worry about scratching them so if you must use an abrasive cleaner for help.
– If the kitchen cabinets have been stained in the past, the paint will not stick to it. You will need to either remove the stain from the wood or you’ll need to lightly sand it down. Painting kitchen cabinets can be done once the surface is porous enough to soak in the paints.
– Remove any debris and dust from the cabinets prior to painting. Kitchen cabinets with a lot of hardware should have that removed as well or you can cover it.
– The first coat will be a primer. This will lock in the wood and help the paint to adhere to the wood. It will cover any blemishes and help to cover any dark colors. Painting the kitchen cabinets with primer is often a necessary step to a quality finish.
– You will likely need to paint kitchen cabinets several times, at least two coats, in order to get a good finish to it. Allow them to dry completely before painting kitchen cabinets a second time.
Painting kitchen cabinets can be an excellent way to improve the look and the feel of the kitchen without spending too much time or money in the project.