Improve comfort and increase durability in the
EFFECTIVE CRAWLSPACE INSULATION
A properly sealed, moisture-protected, and insulated crawlspace
will increase comfort, save on energy costs, improve the durability
of the home, and reduce entry of moisture, radon, and other potential
irritants or pollutants into the home. Whichever design is followed,
the keys to an effective crawlspace are:
Moisture control – using a water-managed
foundation system to drain rainwater and groundwater away from
Airtight construction – sealing all air
leaks between the conditioned space and the outside prior to insulation
Complete insulation coverage – properly installing
the correct insulation levels and making sure the insulation coverage
is continuous and complete.
WATER-MANAGED FOUNDATION SYSTEM
A crawlspace is susceptible to moisture and deterioration problems
because of contact with the earth. The best approaches for preventing
these problems will depend on the local climate and style of construction,
but the following general rules apply to most crawlspace designs.
1. Keep all untreated wood materials away from the earth.
2. Provide rain drainage, such as gutters, to conduct rainwater
away from the house.
3. Slope the earth away from the house for at least 5 feet at
a minimum 5% grade (3 inches in 5 feet). Establish drainage swales
to direct rainwater around the house.
4. Add a sill gasket to provide air sealing.
5. Install a protective membrane, such as an EPDM-type membrane,
to serve as a capillary break that reduces wicking of water from
the masonry wall. This membrane, in addition to metal flashing,
can serve as a termite shield.
6. Dampproof the below-grade portion of the foundation wall to
prevent the wall from absorbing ground moisture by capillary action.
7. Install drainage plane material or gravel against the foundation
wall to relieve hydrostatic pressure and channel water to the
8. Provide a foundation drainage system at the bottom of the footing,
not on top, when the foundation floor (interior grade) is below
the exterior grade. Surround a perforated 4-inch drain pipe with
gravel and cover them with filter fabric.
9. Install 6-mil polyethylene across the crawl space floor to
prevent soil moisture from migrating into the crawlspace. Overlap
and tape all seams by 12 inches, and seal the polyethylene 6 inches
up the crawlspace walls.
CRAWL SPACE WALL INSULATION TECHNIQUES
The difference is more than you think, or maybe not!
Carpet is best!
There is nothing like walking barefoot on great carpet
for Hardwood is easier than you think.
Just vacuum and you are done.